Monday, October 10, 2016

WALMART, RAIN, AND FOOTBALL

  

THE RAIN CAME.

Holy cow I've never seen rain like this! It has literally rained all this week. It's amazing! I love it! The streets have become rivers, almost quite literally. The funny thing is, it's totally normal. I found out this week you aren't a real Oregonian if you use an umbrella. It's kind of like wearing sketchers in New York City. Everyone knows you're a tourist! So you just get wet. It's ok though, because honestly I love it and as long as you're wearing a jacket, it doesn't matter. 

Besides being so wet this week, we did actually do missionary work too! Matt is really progressing, but has slowed down. His wife is an inactive member that doesn't motivate him, so he isn't making the progress he could, but we aren't letting up!

Laura is doing so good. We love visiting with her. She wasn't able to watch conference last Sunday which we were bummed about. Then we met on Wednesday and found out she had listened to most of it on her own! We were so pumped! She's so awesome. We are making real progress! 

We met with Frank this week, and his son showed him a lot of anti stuff and he's questioning if he should still meet with us. It's so frustrating! We were so close to setting a date with him for baptism and now have hit a huge wall. I hate anti stuff! It's difficult though, because one of the local church's doctrine is anti-Mormon content. I don't know how people think their church is true when it's teaching to hate others. It doesn't make sense! 

On Thursday, we went to the Freshmen football game at Sherwood High! I was in heaven. I know what you're thinking, that's not missionary work, but it really was! One of our investigators, Dan, is a coach for the team, and we also have some less active members that are players. So it was legit. I didn't realize how much I really missed it though! I would have given almost anything to be on that field in some pads. Sherwood runs the Wing-T, which I'm totally against, but I still cheered for them! They lost 34 to 24, but it was a very entertaining game of football, and I savored every second. I wanted to be down on the field coaching myself! Dan is the O-line coach and I wish so bad I could share some suggestions and teach those boys some things. I have a feeling I will be coaching ball at some point in the future... 

Friday was Western Days at the senior center, and they had world champion yodeler Larry Wilder come! He was amazing! After his performance, he talked to us and shared how his nephew is serving a mission and he's performed with Motab before! He had CDs to purchase, and Elder Bang and I were going to each buy one and he gave them to us for free saying he knows how much they pay us. Hahaha he was an awesome guy and I loved the CD I got! It has all the old American classics that grandpa Jay loved. 

This weekend we are doing a huge open house at the church for anyone that wants to come learn about family history, emergency preparedness, or ask a Mormon a question, all complete with homemade bread and jam. So this last Saturday, we got permission from the local Walmart to stand at the entrances for a total of 8 hours inviting people to our event and proselytizing. We were supposed to have 4 two-hour shifts, but the other elders didn't show up to replace us, so we sat outside Walmart for 5 hours! Luckily we had a canopy and free lunch from some members. We talked to two non members and probably 50 members. Haha it wasn't super effective as we had thought it would be, but if anything it inspired members and made for some prime people watching. Oregonians are weird enough, but then you add Walmart weird and it is almost better than Disneyland people watching. 

Yesterday in sacrament meeting, my heart was full. Every second was meant for me. From the hymns, to the talks, I was drinking from the living waters every second. Shoutout to Maddie and her favorite hymn, #169 for bringing the spirit so strong! I love the hymns. One of the speakers said, "the miracle of service is that it takes our problems and puts them into perspective." How grateful I am to be serving a mission and receive this perspective! It's been a powerful, eye opening experience so far, and I'm so grateful I am learning how much of a blessing serving a mission really is. I end with inspiring words of a favorite hymn. 

                                                The Lord is my light; then why should I fear?
By day and by night his presence is near.
He is my salvation from sorrow and sin;
This blessed assurance the Spirit doth bring.
The Lord is my light; tho clouds may arise,
Faith, stronger than sight, looks up thru the skies
Where Jesus forever in glory doth reign.
Then how can I ever in darkness remain?
The Lord is my light; the Lord is my strength.
I know in his might I’ll conquer at length.
My weakness in mercy he covers with pow’r,
And, walking by faith, I am blest ev’ry hour.
The Lord is my light, my all and in all.
There is in his sight no darkness at all.
He is my Redeemer, my Savior, and King.
With Saints and with angels his praises I’ll sing.


Elder Hall

      

The gorgeous fall colors here! Enjoy! 



    




      

The sun broke through for the first time in a week, so we documented the event! 
My new haircut, thanks to Amy. She's amazing! 


    


The freshmen football game!            
My fun letters I got from the primary! I love every one of them!


    

Our senior center getup, hairnets included 
My weekend relaxation. Diet Coke, hot tamales, and ibuprofen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment