Monday, January 9, 2017

IT'S COLDER THAN PROVO



Exploring the "wilderness" in our area!

Hey from the arctic tundra of Oregon! It's been so cold this week! Let
me explain the subject this week.

Whenever it gets freezing in Oregon, it's funny because everyone has
this odd pride in it. Such as, "It is so cold here, did you know it's
colder here than it is in Provo?" I can't tell you how many times I've
heard that one this week. So while I'm pretty sure it's colder in
Provo, I've got to put my Oregonian hat on and say, "Did you know it's
colder here than in Provo right now?" Haha! Jokes aside, it has been
FREEZING. Try riding a bike in 30+ mph wind and it's only 19 degrees
to begin with. It's been pretty miserable this week.

Tuesday morning we were getting haircuts from a ward member but we had
to be there at 545am! Well it was 20 degrees and two miles away, so
we convinced the office Elders to drive us and the Rock Creek Elders
there. It was a fun morning! When everyone was done it was only 645am,
so we went to chick-fil-a for breakfast and had a party with the
employees. It was so funny!

That night, we stopped at a less active's house. He was so glad to
greet us and let us in! We soon realized it was too good to be true
though. For two hours he lathered the anti beliefs on us, grilling us
question after question. We couldn't leave either, his huge German
shepherd was guarding the door! After a few hours, he offered to help
us run away back to our families because he knows we are being held
against our will. He wasn't wrong, we were being held against our
will! In his house! Haha we finally were able to leave after I made
friends with the dog and she laid down at my feet. I'm a dog
whisperer!

Every Wednesday after district meeting we all go to subway down the
road from the church. It's always the same two guys working and now
they know us! It's so fun!

The most embarrassing thing happened to me. We were going to tract a
neighborhood across our area so we biked there and then locked up the
bikes. Elder Hewitt had to use the bathroom, so we stopped at a
port-a-potty on the side of a very busy road. While I stood outside
waiting, everyone driving by was laughing and pointing and scoffing at
me. I thought, "wow this is a mean neighborhood." After Elder Hewitt
was finished, we started knocking doors. Everyone that
answered looked at me and just smirked! I was astounded at the
rudeness of everyone! Well, after the third door I turned to Hewitt
and asked, "why is everyone being so mean?" He looked at me and then
started laughing just like everyone else! I was so mad! Then he said,
"Dude, you're wearing your bike helmet!" I felt like such an idiot!! I
would've laughed at me too! Now I'm very self conscious about my
helmet.

Thursday we dry walled a shed for a former investigator. It was a
ton of fun and thanks to my dad, I wasn't totally clueless. Thanks
dad!

Saturday was the snowstorm. It snowed sideways all day. But that
wasn't stopping us! We met this lady and her 4 year old son while they
were trying to feed ducks. We talked for half an hour or so and really
got to know them. They started to walk home and asked us to walk with
them! That NEVER happens! As we walked and talked about the gospel, I
asked little Benjamin (that was the boy's name) if he liked Jesus. He
stopped dead in his tracks and went silent. His eyes got wide. He
turned to us and projectile vomited all over. Luckily we both dodged
the spray, but the poor kid just kept throwing up. His mom was
comforting him as he said, "I'm cold and I'm sick and there's no more
ducks!" Elder Hewitt and I didn't know what to do. So we helped little
Benjamin and his mom back to their house and asked if we could come
back and share more with them. She declined but thanked us for the
kind conversation. We were bummed as we turned around, but all that
changed when I slipped on what was now little Benjamin's frozen throw
up. Man, what a week it's been. You can't make this stuff up!!

Yesterday church was cancelled due to freezing rain. I've never had
church cancelled my whole life! President texted us and told us to
stay inside, it was too dangerous to go out. It didn't look that bad,
so we ventured out anyway. IT WAS BAD. Ice storms are real. So we went
back inside and that's where we stayed. ALL DAY. It was the longest
Sunday of my life. I'm excited for church next week! I get to speak,
and I love speaking in church. I'm so pumped!

Anyway, that's it for my crazy week. I hope there were some good
laughs for you! I'll end with my testimony of Jesus Christ. He is
real. He is our Brother. Because of Him, we can be with our loved ones
forever, resurrected and living in endless happiness. I can't wait for
that day! I know He lives. His spirit is real. He will stand with us
through the good times and through the bad. His hands are there, we
just need to grab them and hold on tightly.

Love you all, have a great week!

With love,
Elder Hall

  
The backwoods in our area after the snow storm and how I went tracting.

   
The best Oregon sunset I've seen. It helps it was over the high school
football field 😊 and  selfie because the lighting was so good.

A little bigfooting! Someday I'll go real bigfooting out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment